A social security card is required if you want to apply for a job, or if you need to pay taxes. So, if your card has been stolen or lost, you can use the following steps to get a new one. There is no cost to get a replacement or a copy of the social security card.

Report The Lost Or Stolen Card To Authorities

If you believe you have been a victim of theft, and your social security card was stolen, it is important that you report it immediately to the social security office. If the card was stolen, you should also report the theft to:

The Federal Trade Commission

The Internal Revenue Service to ensure no one is filing fraudulent taxes with your number
Internet Crime Complaint Center �” file a complaint with the agency

Print Out The Application For A New Card

In order to get a copy of your social security card, you will need to go to the Social Security Administration’s website and print out the SS-5 Form. If you want to download the Form to your electronic device, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. After downloading the application, you can print it out.

Learn More: Should You Report A Lost Social Security Card?

Fill Out The Form

The next thing that you will need to do is fill out the SS-5 Form. Be sure to fill the application out correctly. If it is determined that the application was filled out with fraudulent information, you could face fines, imprisonment or both.

Social Security Card

Gather The Necessary Documents

The agency requires that you include original documents verifying your citizenship or immigration status. The only forms of citizenship that the agency will accept are:

United States passport
United States birth certificate
Certificate of Naturalization
Certificate of Citizenship
United States consular report of birth

For those who are not citizens of the United States, they will have to prove their immigration status. The only types of documents that are acceptable are:

Form I-551

I-94 with a foreign passport (valid and expired)
Work permit card from the Department of Homeland Security
Notarized copies and photocopies will not be accepted. The documents must be the originals, or copies that were provided to you by the issuing agency. The Social Security Administration will not keep your documents, they will be returned once your application has been approved.

It is never pleasant to lose your social security card. Fortunately, you can get a copy of your card by completing a few steps.

Get more information here: https://www.application-filing-service.com/socialsecuritycard/get-social-security-card-day/